Tuesday, September 13, 2011

One Little Gray Duck


I bought this sweet vintage duck decoy at an antique mall recently, fully intending to sell it in my etsy shop. But when I got home, this one little gray duck ended up inspiring a mini-makeover in the corner of my livingroom, complete with painting, furniture rearranging, and everything.



He has just the nicest weathered patina with so much wonderful texture. And the thing you'd never ever guess about my little gray duck? He looks just like a fine old wooden decoy... but he's made of plastic. What a clever little duck I have.


Above is what the corner of my livingroom looked like before. The dark table and iron chandelier didn't really stand out much, and it was a dark corner of the room to begin with so it needed a little brightness and color. Enter my little gray duck...


I started by swapping the dark stained desk for the white chippy table that was serving as my husbands computer desk on the other side of the room. I added a blue painted box, which was a plain wood box that I painted and antiqued in the same way I did my china cabinet.


I also painted a pair of my wooden lamps. I discovered these turned lamp bases a while ago at Target.com on clearance for under $20 and I ordered 4 of them! A couple coats of gray and off-white paint, dabbed and wiped off in just the right places, and Pottery Barn can eat it's pricey little heart out.

 The result is a lighter and brighter corner with simple antique details and a perfect touch of color. And it all started with one little gray (plastic) duck!

8 comments:

  1. NICELY done! Esther & fleurcottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a amazing change...that looks so beautiful, just great!!!!! :-)
    The table and lamp are fantastically beautiful!!!
    Hugs,
    Elvira

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the transformation and your "little gray duck" completes the look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks great! Love the shade of blue on the box, and the lamp and table are perfect. The duck has a nice new home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the transformation. Your style is so lovely!
    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm visiting from A bowl full of lemons. I'm so glad I entered the giveaway. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog . Your home is beautiful and your Etsy shop is full of such great things! You have a returning reader here :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful area. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...