Friday, July 22, 2011

China Cabinet Makeover



I painted my white china cabinet blue - and I love it!

I've been debating about whether I should do this for a while now. Just a few posts ago, I redecorated my dining room with my beautiful new french chairs from TJ Maxx, and the room had a really sophisticated, neutral palette. And I liked it. But I couldn't help thinking... I wonder what it would look like if I painted that cupboard blue?


The answer? Even more lovely than before!


I started with a can of "French Gray" paint from Glidden that I had picked out for FREE from their website a couple months ago during their paint giveaway promotion. I love free paint! By itself, the color was a little brighter blue than I wanted. But I watered down a bit of black acrylic paint (the kind you buy in little squeeze bottles from a craft store), brushed it on, and then wiped off the extra with a damp rag. It ended up being even better than I expected.


And my white ironstone has never looked better...





I've been wanting to repaint my dining room table for a while, too, and the new blue cabinet gave me the motivation I needed to finally do it. I used a nice warm grey called "Cobblestone" from Olde Century Colors, with just a touch of distressing. It's a cooler tone than before, and the finish is a little less "faux" looking...

Before.... and after!

Not to mention that the last time I got the urge to paint my table, I didn't really have the right paint on hand, so... being the impatient decorator that I am... I used leftover wall paint from my kitchen. Flat wall paint. Not the best finish for a dining room table - take my word for it!


The finishing touch was a grey and blue chippy wood bench from the basement, and the antique grainsack pillow from my couch. Now, I am on the lookout for a matching 4 gallon crock to go next to the 3 gallon on top of the cupboard... I saw the perfect one at an antique shop in Ohio when we were home for Christmas and I was THIS CLOSE to buying it. But I didn't, and now I want to kick myself. Oh well, just keep looking!


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Just the right amount of texture and depth. If I had any decorating sense that is what I would say. Right now I will just stick with beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks beautiful. What a lovely color. And your wall with the ironstone looks great...you added a couple of pieces, right? Love the bench, too...and all your crocks. It all looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cupboard looks fantastic and I think the chairs just make the room. They are fabulous. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blue painted cabinet- it really makes your ironstone pop and looks great in the room! You have wonderful taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellie! It looks absolutely amazing!! Love the chairs and table...and the ironstone...divine! It is simply lovely! The bench and the pillow are beautiful, too!! Can you come work your magic down here in my house!!?? ;o) I am working on neutralizing it...currently it is mostly earth tones. Adding white here and there, and loving how it looks!

    Have a delightful Sunday!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. the cabinet is just lovely and is just perfect for your room ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is just lovely!!! I also love your dining room chairs! Such a great room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your decorating instincts are right on, Ellie! This room (and your entire house, for that matter) is such a pleasure to look at. Love your style!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cupboard is a beautiful shade of blue--turned out perfect for your white ironstone and looks great with the touch of blue on your crocks, pillow, and bench! Good choice! karen fr/ NE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I would love to do something similar to my china cabinet. Just wondering what ratio of black paint to water did you use?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...